Skip to main content

Chris Sale

All Rights reserved – Chris Sale.

 

This week I want to talk about three different photographers I follow and why.  One I have corresponded with the other two I just follow their work but have reached out to with the questions below.  The above picture was taken by Chris Sale and permission to use this photo was given exclusively to me only by Chris Sale.  No unauthorized use of this photo is allowed.

I decided recently to try something new and contact various photographers and ask them a series of questions, to see what inspires them to do what they do.  The first one I heard from was Chris Sale.  I found Chris on Youtube and began following his work as he does some landscape work like me.  I have linked Chris’ website and Youtube channel above.  Let me first begin with his Youtube channel.  Chris is not a run and gun photographer, he takes time to craft the shot, set up and compose it then captures the moment.  Chris also does more color than black and white, but his videos explain why he does what he does, what he looks for when out shooting and even his processing of pictures.  He like all good photographers asks for feedback, but also offers advice as an amateur photographer.  Chris has written blogs on all his methods, but I mostly admire not only his style but the fact that he also takes time to reach back out to me when I ask or comment.  Below is the question and answers from him in his own words.

I came up with roughly six questions, and Chris, as mentioned, was kind enough to answer them.

Which is your favorite lens? Why? – My favourite lens is the Canon EF 24-70mm f/4 L. It is so versatile. I shoot most often at 28, 35 and 50mm so it covers all the bases. It is also pretty sharp, even at 24mm. As a landscape photographer, I tend to shoot from f/8 to f/16 so I have no need for the f/2.8. Mine is currently being fixed and I miss it terribly.

What is your favorite style of shooting? – I am tending towards a more minimalistic style of photography. I always try to include a strong subject and to eliminate all other distractions. As a result, I tend not to include foreground elements and I take a lot of long exposures.

Among the gadgets that you own, is there something that you wish you hadn’t bought? Why? – I am not really a gadget person.

How do you educate yourself to take better pictures? – I am not one for studying other people’s work too closely. Instead, I critique my own work on a regular basis. I will often select 3 of my most recent images and for each one list three things that I like about it and 1 thing that I do not. Then I work to eliminate the stuff that I don’t like.

Whose work has influenced you most?Michael Kenna. My tendency to focus on strong subjects, to eliminate distractions, my use of negative space and long exposures are all directly influenced by Michael’s work.

What is the one thing you wish you knew when you started taking photos? – It isn’t about the gear. Gear is actually the least important aspect of photography. For me, the best photographers are the ones that lead the most interesting lives. Photography, particularly landscape photography, is all about getting out there and capturing a moment. Anyone just starting out would be better off spending their cash on a trip than the latest full frame mirrorless camera.

I want to thank Chris for taking the time to answer these questions and provide insight into how and why he shoots as he does.  I highly encourage you to check out his Instagram, Youtube, and website.

Website – https://chrissale.co.uk/wp/

YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaR849-KG86v4UgD52PLT4g/videos

Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/chrissalephoto/

For me, photography is much more than taking pictures.  It is finding and studying work from other artists who inspire and impact me.  These are just a few I follow and if I get more responses from my email I will continue to list them in future blogs.  Those who shoot like me, I highly suggest finding others who inspire you and don’t blindly follow who I mention here.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim