Skip to main content

What drives me to take photos?

Today I want to talk about what drives me to take photographs and why I enjoy doing it.  For me, it is about the experience and not just the images I capture.  Often enough the images are an afterthought.

My wife and I had dinner last evening with another couple who are friends of ours.  During part of our conversation, the subject of me hiking today came up.  I discussed some of the animals I have seen when out hiking, which include squirrels, deer, chipmunks, birds, raccoons, domestic dogs, and even a few coyote sightings.  This prompted the question “Do you carry a stick or something to protect yourself?”  I replied no.  I never have even thought about it.  Nature for me is a sanctuary.  Yes where I go there is a risk of injury from a fall, possibly being shot by hunters, and I guess possible animal attacks, but I never even think of that.  Life is full of so much stress anyway, why put the extra burden of ‘what if’ out there.  I have a greater risk of being in a car wreck on the way to or from the hike than getting attacked, and honestly, if I did get attacked, and didn’t survive, I’d die doing what I love (hopefully getting a picture of my attacker as that one last shot).

Today I was to meet a friend and go hiking and help her learn some of my photography tips.  She has the flu running in her family and thus canceled on me.  For about 15 minutes this morning I waffled between going and not going, but finally decided to go.  Glad I did.

Over the past few months, I have been having some pretty bad calf and feet pain.  I can best describe my feet pain as a dull ache, similar to standing on your feet all day long then taking tight shoes off.  Thing is I wake up that way, and it lasts all day.  I am trying massages, stretching and stopped taking my anxiety medicine to see if any of those things help.  Ultimately I may have to start swimming again which is something I truly dread.  I am just scared that if things continue my hiking may no longer exist or be greatly limited.

Today I went to my favorite local trail and was completely alone.  As I arrived the temp hovered around 36 degrees and there was a slight fog adding to the ambiance of the hike.  Recent rains have left small channels, like veins running along the trails, carrying leaves and sticks along their paths.  Along with a very soggy, muddy ground.  The first half of my hike the trees, bushes, and fields were covered in frost.  This allowed me to get a few good shots of the ice crystals as well as some dew on a spider web.  I adjusted some of my camera settings before heading out today and (this is rare for me), I think I took some of my best shots today.

So again why do I do this?   As mentioned I was alone.  It was me and nature.  There was no pressure for idle chatter, nor disruption of talking or politely listening to someone else, just me, the sounds, smells and sights.  As a photographer, my eyes are trained to notice things I never have before.  I see the world differently because of my camera.  I notice things many don’t.  Today was about going on a different route and looking for things I had not seen before.  Even if I took the same trail every time the changes of season, changes in the landscape due to rains, storms, wind or snow allow me to see a familiar path differently.  I think this is a rut we all fall into in daily life.  We get in routines, focus on the stresses of family, jobs, bills, politics, life, and forget to see what is around us.  As mentioned before worry also forces blinders on us as well.  The great ‘what if’s’.  What if I lose, my job, what if I get cancer, what if I get in a car wreck, what if a coyote attacks me while hiking…..  I am learning to balk at these things and taking one moment at a time.  Photography helps slow my mind down and concentrate on a small subject in front of me.  Close one eye.  Make a small circle with your hand, place that hand up to your open eye.  Even in the wide-open of nature that is how I see things.

Framing everything I see, deciding if it would make a good photograph.

I recently watched a YouTube video from a photographer named Peter McKinnon.    I have never been a fan of BUCKET Lists as I feel they are a recipe for failure, but he got me thinking.    His video talks about how he created a BUCKET shot of a picture he wanted to get for over nine years and his journey to get it.  Also, like me, he discusses how the experiences in getting any shots far outweigh the shots themselves.  Similar to what music does for me, my photographs can all be tied back to a time, place, feeling and experience.  Many shots are deeply personal to me.  I have met great friends like Chris, Kim, Lisa, and built deeper relationships with Darci, Steve, Al, and Mark due to photography.  Indirectly I have grown closer to a few others like Tesa and Heather due to their admiration and feedback on my work.  If you have time (23+ minute video), check out Peter’s video.    Pay particular attention to what is said from 15:13 – 16:12.  Here is a link to the video.

My joy in photography is an ever learning process.  I have even begun to teach two individuals, upon request, how to become better photographers.  I am sharing my knowledge and experience to help both of these individuals grow, which in turn has helped me continue to fan the creative flames within me.  I have heard over and over from various people that “I cannot take good pictures”, and this is further from the truth.  Everyone can take and make great photos.  If I can do anyone can.

I challenge each of you to slow down.  Look around.  Even in those places, you could navigate in the dark, are there things that you see daily but do not notice?   Change things up.  Rearrange a room, drive a different way to work, brush your teeth with the opposite hand, put your pants on starting with the opposite leg.  These small changes can refresh your mind and help you grow.  Just like my photography and more importantly, this blog has done for me.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim