Skip to main content

3 buddies.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

This weekend was one that I can gladly say was a good weekend for me.  It is not often the entire weekend that is good but this one was.

It began with our traditional Friday night pizza gathering.  Sometimes it is just Marcie and me, other times it is our friend Ken and Laurie.  This week was different.  A new family moved in in our area and we decided to invite the couple to join us.  We heard their story, they heard ours and we enjoyed a great dinner with great conversations.

Saturday I attended my son’s second swim meet and then that evening we went to another couple’s house that we recently met.  This time our son came with us as his friend lives there and we brought along the new family’s son.  We spent a few hours playing board games, laughing, joking and learning about each other.  It was relaxing and fun.  Something I think both Marcie and I needed.  Like Friday night, we shared stories, got to know each other, and felt great that our son and his new friend were having fun with a few other boys downstairs.  We also discovered a sugar cookie, Cracker Jack.  Trust me on this one, yum.

Sunday morning I fulfilled a passion.  I woke up early (normal for me), and headed downtown to meet up with a dear friend Mark and another friend Chris.  Mark and I met at my work parking garage at 8:15, grabbed our cameras, coats, hats, and gloves and we headed out in the 28 cold.  Mark just received a new camera for his retirement party and was anxious to try it out.  I was also anxious to see it.

We headed down 1st street toward Main Street, cut through the alley and on to 2nd street.  We began talking about our cameras snagged a few shots and quickly found ourselves at 2nd and Main.  Our goal today was to walk down 3rdstreet, then around 4th street and back.  Seeing what we could see and shooting what we could.  As it was a Sunday morning the city was sparse with people, but the buildings are always there.

Making out way up to 2nd I spotted a mural on the side of a building a block over, and I had to capture it.  I have always been a fan of street art, and this was no exception.  I admired the colors and the time it must have taken to paint this two-story picture.

As we made our way toward 3rd street I got a text from Chris saying he was on his way and we planned to meet at 4th Street Live.  We continued that direction pointing out potential shots and sharing conversation.  Mark is retiring at the end of January.  We discussed how his party went, how he will miss his co-workers, his career and his plans.  A new chapter will soon begin for him, and as he travels a lot already, now his job won’t interfere with that come February 1st.  I hope I can get there someday as well, but until then I hope I have more time to spend with him on weekends.  Mark is my photography mentor.  I get a lot of advice and inspiration from him and his work.  As he also enjoys hiking, he is a perfect friend match for me.

We stopped while waiting for the light at 3rd and Market and a guy was sweeping the street.  I was able to snag a shot while he had his back turned while Mark tried to get the shot appearing to look in the closed restaurant, and every time he raised his camera the guy turned and looked at him.  I don’t think he ever got the shot and we moved on, talking about how street photography both made us nervous.

Soon we were at 4th Street Live and I receive a text from Chris stating he was in front of the Christmas tree.  We were a block away and made our way toward him.  As we approached Chris greeted us with a big smile and we both extended our hands in a warm greeting.  I officially introduced him to Mark.  They follow each other on Instagram and were familiar with each other’s work, but this is the first time they had met in person.  After today it won’t be the last.  Chris works at Humana like me and he is my other mentor for photography.  When I got my first mirrorless camera I posted on our company site about it and Chris reached out to me to discuss the gear.  That was the start of our friendship.

Now for the technical part.  We all have Fuji cameras.  I started with the Fuji XT-1 and gradually moved to my current camera the Fuji XT-2.  Chris has the XT-1, X100F, and the brand new XT-3.  Mark has the XT-10, XT-20 and now the new X100F.  This trip today provides all of our opportunities to notice different things to shoot, provide different feedback on how and what we shoot and why.

I felt today that I helped make a connection between two people as well as strengthening our bond.  A simple walk through the streets taking pictures, talking and sharing stories helped bond us today.  I hope we can do this often.  I think it massaged my spirit and I know they both enjoyed hanging out together.

As our morning was wrapping up we decided to go eat at Potbelly’s.  We entered the warm building where we were greeted by the manager.  We commented on the song playing (it slips my mind now).  He told us that the store used to sell furniture then started selling soup and sandwiches.  The furniture eventually gave way to the restaurant and that the same song plays first each day to let people know it is open.  In many cases, the place, like this one, is located in a heavy traffic area, and that has become the calling card to let the people around know they were open.  We arrived at exactly 11 am when they opened.

As we sat, ate, warmed our bodies and my soul, we talked about YouTubers we watch, Instagrammers we watch/follow, and then began sharing the various setups we had on our cameras.  For once I knew here and shared some quick tips with them.   We all learned something about our cameras today by sharing tips.  We also learned that none of our wives understand our obsession with cameras.  That ended with a few minutes of laughter.

My EnneaThought for the Day on Sunday stated Sixes (my type) become overcome by ambivalence toward others and have a tendency to overreact to anxiety.  That we are much more emotionally stable and receptive and trusting of others we feel a connection with.  I think that sums up the day perfectly.

If you are on Instagram I encourage you to follow my buddies and learn what inspires me.

Mark – https://www.instagram.com/deermark/

Chris – https://www.instagram.com/chriskasari/

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim