Skip to main content

Vulnerabilities.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

I want to embrace my vulnerabilities and not fear the risk that may come from allowing others to see them.  To work through and deal with the shame and judgment that often comes when I reveal myself to others.

For most of my life, I have had this belief of who I should be, what I should do as a career, who I should hang around, how I should act and what I should look like.  I think this is something everyone struggles with and it is more prevalent in today’s society with the overabundance of social media, television commercials, and billboards amongst other things.

Shame is a driving force that leads to disconnection.  I have noticed that this happens to me and others so subconsciously that it seems to be a driving force in most people’s lives without them even knowing.  People unknowingly (sometimes) validate themselves against me.  They validate where they are better than me.  This could be physical, emotionally, financially or even comparing my wife or son to their own.  I am guilty of this as well.

In this continual journey of my life, I am striving to move away from shame and move toward empathy.  Empathy which is quite different than sympathy involves understanding other’s experiences through their eyes and not our own.  I often will listen to another’s problems and begin either comparing it to something that happened to me or prepare myself to provide a solution, without truly listening to that person’s issue at hand.  Through empathy, I will put myself in their shoes, not to take on the issue, fix it, or compare it to an experience of my own, but strive to listen and understand why that particular issue is impacting them the way it does.  With shame there are no conversations, just blame.  With empathy there is listening and understanding someone’s issue and why they feel the way they do.  Shame leads to disconnection, empathy leads to connectedness.  The two most important words when striving for empathy when talking to someone who suffers is ‘me too’.

As a new practice, I will start to tear down my walls and show my vulnerabilities.  Many see this is a weakness, but for me, I see it as a truer, loving connection with the ‘right’ people.  I am striving for the courage to be impactful.  Striving for compassion to be kind to me and others.  Finally building that connection that will result in authenticity.

I have been trying to do the impossible, which is numbing only certain emotions.  Those brought on by shame.  I nor anyone can numb only certain emotions.  I am willing to do things without guarantees.  As an example of telling my friends that I love them at risk of hearing that back or providing an empathetic ear knowing it may not be reciprocated.  I cannot achieve empathy without vulnerability.  I also cannot love others more than I love myself.

Do to the shaming I have experienced in my life I have become disconnected from much of my family and some friends.  I am learning to let go of who I should be, become who I am.  Believing I am worthy of love and belonging.  To say I AM ENOUGH.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

A Walk In The Woods - part 3

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Day 3; We again hit the BRP and made our first stop at the Pisgah Visitor Center .    I bought two hats, looked around a bit and then we headed to Highway 276 and Looking Glass Falls .  This massive 60-foot fall was flowing hard.  The thunderous noise could be seen and felt in the parking area.  This location provided a wooden staircase down to the falls.  Quite easy in fact, but I was feeling the strain from the day before.  Like a giddy child, Mark was all over taking shots, getting wet, but had a smile from ear-to-ear the whole time.  I enjoyed the beauty and power of the falls, took one shot, but stayed where it was dry. Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography As we returned to the Blue Ridge Parkway the clouds parted, the sun came out and we both said we were in for a beautiful day (weather-wise).  We stopped along the BRP a few times capturing shots of the shadows on the road, an old rock bridge covered in moss and as we made our way up the BRP the clo...