Skip to main content

Vulnerabilities.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

I want to embrace my vulnerabilities and not fear the risk that may come from allowing others to see them.  To work through and deal with the shame and judgment that often comes when I reveal myself to others.

For most of my life, I have had this belief of who I should be, what I should do as a career, who I should hang around, how I should act and what I should look like.  I think this is something everyone struggles with and it is more prevalent in today’s society with the overabundance of social media, television commercials, and billboards amongst other things.

Shame is a driving force that leads to disconnection.  I have noticed that this happens to me and others so subconsciously that it seems to be a driving force in most people’s lives without them even knowing.  People unknowingly (sometimes) validate themselves against me.  They validate where they are better than me.  This could be physical, emotionally, financially or even comparing my wife or son to their own.  I am guilty of this as well.

In this continual journey of my life, I am striving to move away from shame and move toward empathy.  Empathy which is quite different than sympathy involves understanding other’s experiences through their eyes and not our own.  I often will listen to another’s problems and begin either comparing it to something that happened to me or prepare myself to provide a solution, without truly listening to that person’s issue at hand.  Through empathy, I will put myself in their shoes, not to take on the issue, fix it, or compare it to an experience of my own, but strive to listen and understand why that particular issue is impacting them the way it does.  With shame there are no conversations, just blame.  With empathy there is listening and understanding someone’s issue and why they feel the way they do.  Shame leads to disconnection, empathy leads to connectedness.  The two most important words when striving for empathy when talking to someone who suffers is ‘me too’.

As a new practice, I will start to tear down my walls and show my vulnerabilities.  Many see this is a weakness, but for me, I see it as a truer, loving connection with the ‘right’ people.  I am striving for the courage to be impactful.  Striving for compassion to be kind to me and others.  Finally building that connection that will result in authenticity.

I have been trying to do the impossible, which is numbing only certain emotions.  Those brought on by shame.  I nor anyone can numb only certain emotions.  I am willing to do things without guarantees.  As an example of telling my friends that I love them at risk of hearing that back or providing an empathetic ear knowing it may not be reciprocated.  I cannot achieve empathy without vulnerability.  I also cannot love others more than I love myself.

Do to the shaming I have experienced in my life I have become disconnected from much of my family and some friends.  I am learning to let go of who I should be, become who I am.  Believing I am worthy of love and belonging.  To say I AM ENOUGH.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

I almost died - Adventure Hiking Trail.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography (https://www.instagram.com/timothybme/) This morning I was able to cross off a mini-bucket list item.  I have always wanted to hike on the Adventure Hiking Trail (AHT) and today I achieved that with my good friend Mark. We met in the parking lot by the guard shack at the entrance to the park.  We took a moment to greet each other and both of us tried to decide to wear a jacket or not.  Mark loves to drive and since he has a Jeep I was okay with him hauling us to our starting point.  I loaded my gear in his Jeep, climbed in and we headed off. As Mark turned onto Cold Friday Road I felt my excitement level begin to rise as I had been looking forward to this hike for a long time.  The road, though paved was very bumpy and curvy.  It was littered with debris.  Not man-made debris but the kind only Mother Nature could provide.  The Jeep crushed branches, it road over leaves and small rocks, and we seemed to feel every puddle and pothole as we descended the ...

Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography This week I rode an emotional rollercoaster, and I felt like I had no safety belt to keep my securely locked in place.  The week began with yet another bill that seems for the last month we have been hemorrhaging money for state taxes, many home repairs, and car repairs.  My son’s truck had work being done and the price ended up $200+ more than expected.  After dropping my car off for a simple oil leak and picking his truck up I was soon informed that my simple oil leak also involved a radiator leak and a bill of $1700+.  I needed an outlet and the best place for that is the trails. Friday started well.  I met a friend for lunch.  This friend recently retired from my employer and though I didn’t know him that well I always enjoyed talking to him and felt we had some things in common with music.  I tend to gravitate toward older people (especially men), always welcoming their knowledge and experience of life.  This was no exception.  Our lunch meeting c...