Skip to main content

Fear & uncertainty.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

I have a lot of fear and uncertainty in my life, and it seems to be validated daily.  Uncertainty is a very confident place to be.  By revealing myself in my blog I am letting go of that uncertainty and fear in my life.  I will become unattached to fear and uncertainty within.

As part of this fear and uncertainty throughout my life, I have looked to validate certain feelings and emotions, but I was causing more harm to myself than good.  Trying to validate if I was good enough with this blog, my photography, as a father, as a son, as a husband, as a friend, the world always found a way to confirm I was not good enough.  The same can be said for that feeling of belonging.  Do I belong to my friends, or in my job, or at the schools I attended?   Thoughts of being judged unfairly, not being able to provide for my family, death and losing the ones I love are some issues I have been seeking validation for in the past.  As have been the acknowledgment of my existence, accepted by others, fear of failing and people seeing me as a failure have also been energies I have wasted.  These have been lies I have told myself based on various fear and the uncertainty of a future I have no control over.  Fear is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  The world found a way to prove my fears and uncertainty.  I have learned if I seek out something I will find it.  In these cases I did.  My self-worth and my belonging are not something I negotiate externally.  It is something I carry in my heart.  I have spent much of my life validating my fears and the uncertainty in my life, but now I will validate my reality and my self-worth.

Each day I am building a better me.  I am empowering myself by learning to stand alone.  Making decisions to stand alone with my beliefs has begun to positively mark my heart.  I am driven to sway from those simple or not so simple decisions to fit in and to do what my heart tells me to do, even at the risk of making unpopular decisions.  My direction is not to follow the crowd or make the popular decision but one of my internal compass.  I am going to be alone a lot and it is okay.  Even with the love and support of my wife, son and friends I will still be alone with my brain and heart.  I will still find joy in being part of certain things, but I will always belong to and believe in myself first.  Paul Tillich once wrote, “Loneliness expresses the pain of being alone and solitude expresses the glory of being alone”.  This solitude I find in writing, hiking, meditation, and photography helps me to counteract the daily stresses of life.  I am not in any way a lonely man, but I do enjoy my solitude.

F.E.A.R. = False Evidence Appearing Real. I will embrace my fears, accept them and do what my heart guides me to do anyway.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

31 Days of Halloween - Part 2 of 4

Part 1 Week 2 Halloween (2007) – I know I might get some blowback from this, but like the Friday the 13 th series, I also enjoy the Halloween series. It had some duds (Season of the Witch), but overall the 111 kills Michael Myers has committed lends itself to some good films. The reason I picked this version as my favorite is partly because of the vision Rob Zombie brings to it. The kid playing Michael is creepy and the 6’8″ Michael (played by Tyler Mane) is formidable on screen. I met the man once and he is huge. So I like it because of the creepy kid (Daeg Faerch), creepy adult (Tyler Mane) and of course no Rob Zombie movie would be complete without his lovely wife Sheri Moon Zombie as Michael’s mother. To me, this version is the best of the series with no disrespect to the first one. A Nightmare on Elm Street – The original movie came out in 1984 and I saw it that same year. This is one of my favorite movies but the series (other than Freddy vs. Jason) was a disappoint...