Skip to main content

I like what I like, and hate what I hate.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

I like what I like, and I hate what I hate.  I have made my decisions based on my experiences.  Today another one was confirmed for me.

I have always been a fan of cooler weather.  Whether it be the cool crisp air of fall, the nippy icy feeling of winter, or the sweet breezes of early spring days, I have always felt my best and most comfortable in these cooler conditions.  I do not like heat.  Period.

Today I decided to go hiking with a good friend and her dogs.  We planned to hit a trail at O’Bannon Woods State Park at 8 am and do a 3-4 mile hike.  The other goal was to get finished before the heat overwhelmed us (or at least me).

I received a text at 7:05 am from Kristin stating she was on her way and wanted to beat the heat.  I consequently replied I’m leaving now and was in my car within 5 minutes.  As I traversed the winding country roads to my destination, I had the windows down.  The humid air, made cool by the motion of my car, helped get me in the proper frame of mind, and ready for the hike.  The temperature was a cool 68 degrees, feel much cooler due to the wind-chill provided by my car windows being down.

As I arrived at the parking lot only feet from the trailhead, I got out of my car, sprayed on bug spray, and put on my backpack.  I made sure I had my keys, camera, wallet, then locked the door and stood there waiting for my friend.  Within seconds my head was surrounded by a herd of gnats.  I gently swatted at them at first, which soon changed to a wild, primitive dance, involving a rag, and my hand moving in unorthodox movements.  Even my attempts to walk in a different direction provided no relief.  I was always followed.  This was a sign of things to come I just didn’t realize it.

Kristin soon arrived, commenting on my dance, and soon she, Mathis, Gambit (her dogs) and I were off.  As we stepped into the woods, within feet of the trailhead, the temperature dropped noticeably, and the low light that we had in the parking lot, now had transitioned to what appeared to be almost dark.  We were blanketed by the woods.  We began our trek with me in the lead followed by Gambit on his leash, Kristin and Mathis bringing up the rear free to roam as he pleased.  I immediately was blessed with the rite that befalls on every early morning hiker that leads a trek.  I got to walk into every spider web that had been so carefully constructed overnight.  Though I never saw a spider that thought always entered my mind as I sometimes hit the web with my arm or elbow, but most specifically when I went face-first into a web, is where is the spider?

Today’s hike was relaxing to me despite the imminent danger I encountered.  More on that in a bit.  I was able to relax my mind, had a genuine conversation with Kristin, got to spend time with her two wonderful dogs, and was out in nature.  Nature always provides me that missing piece that I have not found in any other form outside my photography and music.

Our conversations included but were not limited to, politics, work stresses, friend issues, money and even a conversation about her room-mate the raccoon that lives in her attic (not invited of course).  There was no judgment, no analysis, no need to fill dead air, just a nice conversation.  Something I can always have with Kristin.

The trail, though thin, was very twist and had many rocks scattered throughout.  This trail was used quite often by mountain bikers, and many of the rocks I saw beneath my feet were strategically placed to provide challenges for those bikers.  The canopy of trees provided not only a shelter from the sun but also a noise buffer which allowed my mind to stay there in the moments of conversation and silent peace.  Signs of life were all around us as we soon discovered.  First, there were the leaves on the trees, bushes below and to the sides, and we even came across a turtle.  But the most obvious sign of life came not ¼ mile into the trail when I heard from behind “stop I think I see a tick on your leg”.  It was one.

Now as mentioned I decided to use bug spray, I also debated on wearing long pants (which I did), and I even ensured they were tucked into my boots.  This may appear as an exaggeration, but throughout the 4-mile hike, I (or Kristin) pulled 25 or more ticks off my pants.  These ranges from tiny deer ticks to the white/yellow-backed ticks, known to carry Lyme disease and other serious diseases.  Kristin also spent a lot of time pulling them off of her and her dogs.  Each tick was named the same thing and I heard it often.  “Little bastard” which was the assigned name to each tick that encountered her or her dogs.  Honestly, I think the name suits them well.  I had treated my clothing to a spray of permethrin, which is good for 6 washes, but today showed it was well past that.  My particular bug spray, however, did keep me from getting any ticks on my exposed head, neck and lower arms.  Every few feet it seemed like either I hear “little bastard”, or “I think I see another one on your leg, Tim”.  It was a constant battle.  We were outnumbered for sure.

I mentioned at the beginning that I like what I like and hate what I hate.  For me the summer and heat, along with ticks, spiders, snakes, and mosquitos, do not bode well.  Unlike a majority of people, I cannot stand the heat, and there is a reason for that.  For me, the heat starts at 82+ degrees.  I worked my way from high school through college as a lifeguard.  Both indoors and out.  One particular summer day in July, with an overcrowded pool, there was a shortage of guards and I was forced to lifeguard a large group for longer than the normal 4-hour shifts I usually worked.  Throughout this day I ran out of the water and was exposed to upper 90-degree temperatures without a break for a long period.  It was toward the end of my shift that I later learned I was suffering from heat exhaustion.  I had a headache, started sweating badly, then stopped sweating, became dizzy, then nauseous.  From that day forward my body remembers and does not respond well to heat.  So now I sweat very easily, I can quickly develop a headache in the heat, and nausea is often a symptom I feel when I get hot.

Today, I battled the heat, ticks, and fatigue but was able to spend time with a dear friend, get some exercise and burn some calories.  My mind and body relaxed internally and I even spent a few moments taking a picture of my constructed cairn.  I enjoyed much of today’s hike but at the same time am questioning if I will continue to hike in the woods during the summer months.  I will again try Mt. St. Francis, and if I have the same issue with ticks, I will move my hikes to the urban arena until the weather cools down.

Today’s world is one where we need and want to belong.  In many cases, we want to fit in.  Each of us has an image of the perfect life, perfect job, and perfect situation.  I too have that, however, I am not afraid to go on my own.  I stand by my convictions and beliefs.  Age has taught me to not follow the crowd but follow my heart.  Many say that but peer pressure tends to take hold and they give in.  I am learning to surround myself with friends that either feel the way I do or support my individuality without judgment if my ideas differ from their own.  That one step has allowed me much less anxiety.  I will reveal a bit more in future blogs, things that may appear less ‘normal’, but give you my reasons why I love what I love and hate what I hate.  My advice is true to yourself.  Don’t let others influence your decisions and beliefs.  Set your goals based on what you truly want not what others or society has deemed as successful or wonderful.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim