Skip to main content

Baby copperhead.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

I had not been hiking for a while and I needed it, so I went today.  My trip took me to the old faithful, Mt. St. Francis.

I arrived in the parking lot not knowing what the morning would bring and began getting my gear together.  As I normally am here Sunday mornings today there were a few people I encountered before I entered the woods.

I walked down the path toward the lake and saw a truck pulled off to the side.  I also noticed there was a small boat in the lake with an older couple attempting to fish.  I made my way toward a familiar path and crossed the wooden bridge turning right and seeing my favorite spot in the whole area.  Today was different.  The trees were in full bloom and I now had a visible canopy above and around me.  Spring had sprung, and I could see it and smell it.  I was greeted along the trail by frogs so anxiously jumping into the water and then my eye caught something swimming only inches from me.  It was a baby copperhead.  As far as poison goes these pack more of a punch than their mothers or fathers.  This one, however, did it’s best to elude me.  I did, however, snap a few shots before moving on.

I moved to the other side of the lake and headed deeper into the woods.  The breeze was blowing slightly and the sound I heard reminded me of light rain hitting the leaves, though today was all about the sun, heat, and humidity.  As the forest often does the now fully bloomed trees provided a blanket over me blocking the rays of the sun for the most part.  Small pockets of sunlight dotted the trail throughout my journey today, but the trees provided a perfect sunscreen and allowed the temperature to stay cool.  For now.

I traversed the long wooden plank bridge, startling frogs, and fish below me as I crossed.  I reached the other side and headed uphill into the woods.  I had taken this path many times but the dense vegetation made this look like a new place for me.  The growth provided me yet another bonus, which was a white noise filter.

I made my way to trail 12 and headed downhill toward the creek.  Along with my descent, I saw a doe standing in my path a few yards ahead frozen like a statue.  As normal I raised my camera and she was gone in an instance.  I arrived at the edge of the creek and sat on the bench.  The gurgling of the water, the cool breeze and the sweet smells of flowers allowed me to relax my mind.  I sat there for a moment, took some deep breaths and enjoyed the peace.  I have sat here in the past but today was much quieter due to the sound barrier the trees were providing me.  After a time I got up built a small cairn in the creek and headed on.  I plan to erect a cairn each time I hike if possible.

I reached the top of the next hill and noticed I had now shifted to being a mouth breather and a pretty forceful one.  I also noticed my shirt was turning a dark blue color from my sweat.  I do not like heat, but for some reason today it didn’t bother me.

I continued on my trek noticing not only the plant but animal life scurrying around me.  I didn’t see another person until I was almost back to my car.

I needed this today.  I consumed all of my 2 liters of water on my hike, my shirt, pants, socks, and even underwear were completely soaked by the time I arrived back to my car.  It felt good.  I cleansed my mind and my pours today.  It felt like all the toxic waste in my head and body were sweated out of me today.  I am also happy to report I had not a single tick on me either.

As I prepare my gear for summer, I now know to bring my larger water bladder, to carry some rags with me, and I can only hope my summer hikes will be as enjoyable as my winter ones are.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim