Skip to main content

War.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

My heart and head have all-out wars daily. My heart looks for peace and happiness and longs to see the good in people, yet my head or logical part of me sees a lot of hate, distrust, anger, and selfishness.  We live in a fast-food culture of the here and now, expecting and deserving things that are not earned.  I admit for years I fell into that mentality as well.  I wanted ‘stuff’, I needed ‘stuff’, I deserved ‘stuff’, to justify my existence.  As I am driven by chaos and uncertainty I am forcing myself to try what’s left of my life to find goodness and meaning in my life.

I have a successful job, a beautiful loving wife, a great dog, and a wonderful son.  I have a select few lifelong friends, and a few more friends I have picked up in recent years.  This however for me cannot sometimes outweigh the meteor shower of negativity, hate, and anger that bombards me every day.  This is what causes me great stress, anxiety and sometimes depression.  As Steve Maraboli once said “People tend to be generous when sharing their nonsense, fear, and ignorance. And while they seem quite eager to feed you their negativity, please remember that sometimes the diet we need to be on is a spiritual and emotional one. Be cautious with what you feed your mind and soul. Fuel yourself with positivity and let that fuel propel you into positive action.”  I am on a new journey.

I rarely watch the news, turn a deaf ear to politics, and am trying to limit my social media. As best I can I try to cut negative people out of my life (some I am stuck with).  I want to train my brain to be more like my friends Wendi, Tesa, Al, and Kenny. They can mostly be patient and positive, a trait I tend to fail at. My wife is also great at this. I know others that are great at looking at the positive side of things, and I need to utilize them to teach me, due to my inability to do so.  As mentioned it is a journey and will take me time, but I hope I can reach the end.

This week I printed, framed and hung nine pictures in my house.  These are to date nine of my favorite shots I have taken.  Initially, I saw the errors in those shots while examining them with a photographer’s eye. I mentally made note of what I could have done better. Now that they are hung I focus (pun intended) on the beauty of each shot.  I feel fortunate that God allowed me to capture the moments I have displayed on my wall.  I realize now I was just a conduit for this beauty, I had very little to do with it, but am glad I was able to capture these moments.  I guess that is why I love nature, photography, and music so much.  All three touch my spirit and emotions so deeply, unlike anything else. Yes, there is anger, rage, negativity in all three, but in those venues, I only see the good and try to hold on to it.

My nature will still be to want, but my focus will change.  The things I want to involve long-lasting emotions and memories.  Since I am now beginning to document, both in writing and in photographs, I think I soon will start my bucket list.  I encourage you to do the same.  I may share it upon its completion and may not.  I am quite sure my eventual bucket list will be one made up of very different things than the one my younger self that wanted/needed/deserved ‘stuff’ would have made.  I hope that the needy guy is dead, and a new more positive and patient Tim emerges.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

31 Days of Halloween - Part 2 of 4

Part 1 Week 2 Halloween (2007) – I know I might get some blowback from this, but like the Friday the 13 th series, I also enjoy the Halloween series. It had some duds (Season of the Witch), but overall the 111 kills Michael Myers has committed lends itself to some good films. The reason I picked this version as my favorite is partly because of the vision Rob Zombie brings to it. The kid playing Michael is creepy and the 6’8″ Michael (played by Tyler Mane) is formidable on screen. I met the man once and he is huge. So I like it because of the creepy kid (Daeg Faerch), creepy adult (Tyler Mane) and of course no Rob Zombie movie would be complete without his lovely wife Sheri Moon Zombie as Michael’s mother. To me, this version is the best of the series with no disrespect to the first one. A Nightmare on Elm Street – The original movie came out in 1984 and I saw it that same year. This is one of my favorite movies but the series (other than Freddy vs. Jason) was a disappoint...