Skip to main content

Spring is here.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

Today all my senses experienced the first signs of spring.

As I moved from my car down the concrete path toward the lake I could hear chatter off in the distance.  As Sunday mornings here are normally a place of solitude I was surprised to hear others out here.  I left the path cutting across the field toward a familiar wooden bridge when I saw across the lake six young men running in a single formation with their legs moving as much as their mouths as their voices echoed throughout the area.  I crossed the wooden bridge, turned right and began my trek on the dirt path.  To the right of me, I could see these young men closing the distance and knew they would soon be in front of me.  I traversed the path quietly and was able to snap a shot of two ducks on the lake before they quickly flew away, disturbed by the joggers approaching me.  I stepped off the trail, let them pass, and then continued.  It would not be the last time I saw them today.

The air had a sweet smell today.  The temperature was in the low fifties, there was a slight breeze, and I was amazed by how different the woods looked from two weeks before.  There were signs of new growth all around me.  Small buds on the trees, a ground cover of green, white and yellow and even the first signs of poison ivy-lined my path as I moved deeper into the woods.  The birds that were mostly dormant over the past few months sang their melodic songs as I moved quietly beneath them.

I needed this hike today but I struggled. Physically my leg was hurting both from my recent massage, but also due to the recently discovered knots in my legs.  These are similar to the knots people get in their necks or shoulders after being under stress.  Also as someone with asthma and allergies, I struggled to get the oxygen I needed for physical activity.  For those unfamiliar with asthma, imagine blowing up multiple balloons one after the other.  That feeling you have after you have blown up the last one is how asthma feels.  You breathe in, and out but you never seem to get the oxygen you need.  My pace was slower today as a result.  This is one of many reasons I love winter the best, I can breathe.

Mentally I needed the release.  The loss of our dog last weekend began to sink in today.  I think the time alone allowed me that release.  This past week has been a bit busier and a bit more stressful than normal.  After a hectic workweek, I was able to enjoy sometime Friday evening with good friends at dinner.  The pleasant conversations and good food started the weekend off right.  Saturday I was presently surprised when I received a text, then an Amazon package for one of my most tenured a dearest friends.  Surprised, first of all, because my birthday is still a few weeks out, but also the fact that because he has supported me so deeply with my photography, he purchased a photography book for me that “I found to be the most inspirational photo book I’ve ever read.”  I am so grateful.

The weekend was not all sunshine and roses.  I spent a few hours celebrating a birthday of an adult who was not turning 18, 21, 30, 40, 50, etc., but a random year between these more celebrated years.  I honestly didn’t see the point of this but, went along anyway.  I am not one for celebrations, in fact, I kind of detest them.  I understand the need for others to be celebrated and shown love by receiving gifts and praise, but for me an unexpected simple meaningful gesture like I received Saturday meant so much more to me than any party ever would.

The hike today was a bit more introspective than normal.  I found myself alone with my thoughts, and the chaos of my mind was muffled by the white noise of the wind, birds, gurgling brooks and rustling leave caused by the various squirrels I saw.  I was so hypnotized today, that at one point while walking along a path next to a stream I involuntarily cleared my throat and it startled me.  I spun around to see who was behind me, quickly realizing that it was me that made the noise.

I reached the intersection at trail nine and twelve and began my way down the path toward the creek below.  Within a few yards, I soon saw a beautiful golden retriever with a large stick in her mouth charging towards me. Her ears were up showing signs of defense, but her tail was wagging show signs of love.  I stopped to pet her noticing that the bottom half of her fur was dripping wet, from the creek below I would soon be crossing.  Not far behind her was Gage.  The owner of this beautiful golden.  He first noticed my camera and asked “what you shooting”, to which I responded smartly “whatever catches my eye”.  We spent a few minutes talking about the magic of this place and how we were both out there to clean out the chaos of our minds.  He was genuinely interested in my photos, so I gave him a business card, and explained how he could check out all my work on Instagram.  He seemed excited to do so.  I left Gage and moved deeper into the woods.  Within minutes I reached the top of the hill and once again crossed path with the six runners I saw earlier.  This time they were a bit less chatty, and only moments after they passed me I could no longer hear them.  Again I was alone and happy.

During today’s hike, I observed an ever-changing landscape.  I have been here when it was muddy, snow-covered, dry, windy, eerily calm, and today when signs of new life are all around me.  I could already notice that my long unobstructed views into the woods were slowly dissipating, and soon would be filled in completely.  Though I am not a fan of summer, it will be interesting to see the area and the pictures I have taken as they differ by season.

I made my way back to my car, stopping to set up my new, traditional, pile of rocks as a tribute to nature.  I left some of my stress, negativity, and sadness in the woods today.  I know that nature has a way of purifying even the most toxic materials, and I hope what I left rots, decays and dies, but like all things in the woods grow new.  By leaving these negatives here I have made room for more joyous, happy and good things in my life.  Nature never ceases to amaze me. Nor does it always amaze me that even a few minutes, for me, in the woods can help me calm down like no other aspect of my life.  I am leaving this place renewed and until I return I will have the memories, sights, sounds, and smells I experienced today.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim