Skip to main content

Soul.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

I was unable to hike on Saturday this week due to a long night dealing with a slowly dying dog.  Sunday I was able to get out for a while and clear my head.

Today’s hike felt different.  The air smelled and tasted different than it had before.  Though the air was crisp and refreshing, it was obvious spring was coming.  I made my way from my car toward the lake I could hear the geese and ducks making their presence known.  At this point, they could not see me so my assumption was this was their way of welcoming a new day.  I was as well.

The sun was breaking through the trees casting long shadows over the sidewalk and the lake I was quickly approaching.  I moved from the concrete path onto the frosted grass leaving a set of footprints behind to show where I had been.  I made my way toward the first path noticing for the first time in quite a while that there was no mud.  As the gentle thud of my boots echoed on the wooden bridge, I felt my body slowly begin to relax.  I moved across the bridge and turned right onto the path eyeing my favorite spot in the whole area.    I didn’t stop like I normally do I just moved along the path toward the next bridge.  The sun was peering through the trees and I stopped to take this shot, before crossing the bridge and moving to the other side of the lake.

Physically I struggled with today’s hike.  My legs were fatigued and I kept catching my foot on roots along the trail.  I later became slightly dizzy and had to stop and rest, but my mind and soul keep me going.  I thought about the stress of the week and tried to compartmentalize, the lab results I got at the doctor on Friday, process my visit to the dentist, and prepare myself for the eventual demise of one of our dogs.  This week at work ran smooth and there were no financial surprises that appeared either.  I even heard from a lifelong friend Saturday who invited me to lunch though I could not go due to other commitments.  I do hope we can plan to meet soon.  I miss my friend.

As I became enveloped in the surrounding woods I approached yet another wooden bridge that I had crossed many times.  The light was hitting it just right and I bent down to take a picture of the bridge.  It has turned out to be one of my favorite shots.  I made my way across the bridge, with my footsteps reverberating underneath me.  It felt like each step and deep bellowing sound was in rhythm with my heartbeats.  I was soon on the other side and made my way to the steep slope.  At the top, I turned left and stopped to catch my breath.  As I did I stood there in mostly silence.  The only sounds I could hear was a distant woodpecker rhythmically searching for food, and the melody of songbirds singing a tune.  These were such sweet sounds, and I needed them.

Continuing on I reached the intersection of two trails and moved left again on the meandering path that slowly descended toward a familiar creek.  The last time I was here the creek was flowing swiftly and crossing meant getting my boots wet, this time the crossing was much easier despite the gently flowing waters.  I paused a moment to snap a shot and made my way up the hill on the other side of the creek.  At the top, I took the path to the left and soon was in an open field.  My last visit here I spooked myself due to a creepy cabin that I could already see in the distance.  This time I decide to move the path on the right and my spidey sense kicked in.  I looked up and off into the distance and saw three statues and three sets of eyes watching me.  It was three deer.  I slowed my pace to a crawl and was able to get close enough to snap a good picture of them before they scurried off into the cover of the woods.  As I moved forward I saw them carefully watching me from the woods and would later see them on my descent back down trail ten.  As I moved across the field I glanced over at the cabin I saw from the previous hike there, and it brought a smile to my face.

I decide when I can, to start setting up one pile of rocks each time I go out hiking.  I found out that these are called cairns, and you can read more about them by clicking on the link.  I have always found them interesting and I think it is a neat non-destructive way to leave my mark on my treks.  Here is my first attempt.

As my legs struggled to move over the tree roots, through the thick grass in the fields and up and down beaten paths, my mind helped to push me along.  I worked out the stresses of the week and cleared my head.  I had my conversation with God and was glad I was able to push through.

Seeing my dog slowly decline in health it made me think of my mortality and how lucky I am to be able to do the things I love.  My recent self-reflection reminded me of a quote from the movie The Crow “We do not recognize our souls until they are in pain.” – James O’BarrI have had bouts of pain in recent months, both physically, mentally and emotionally.  I have through these things not only recognized but found my soul, and more importantly found the places and methods to cure it.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim