Skip to main content

Friday the 13th??

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

In what appears to be a weekly privilege I once again found myself hiking alone at Mt. St. Francis.  I hiked over four miles and reached my step goal of 10,000 before 9:30 am.

I arrived in the parking lot and backed into my normal spot.  As is always the case there were no others there as the empty parking lot displayed.  I hopped out of my car, grabbed my gear and camera and looked in the direction of the lake.  I spotted the upper half of a deer who was eyeing me closely.  I gently closed my car door and used the adjacent structure as cover as I made my way toward the gate.  Today I chose a different focal length lens thus knowing any shot I got of the deer would be from a distance.  As I peered around the corner I saw three sets of faces staring back at me, standing frozen like statues.  I raised my camera took this shot, then headed down the path toward the lake.  I took two steps on the path and they decided I was too close and darted into the nearby woods, cautiously watching me as I passed them by.

Descending toward the lake I felt a cold breeze flow over my face.  I didn’t mind I enjoyed the refreshing feeling.  I immediately thought of the movie White River that I had watched only hours before.  The setting for the movie is in Wyoming in the snow-covered mountains.   I thought of the main character and his role as a tracker for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife.  While the story has nothing to do with my hike I could identify his love for the wilderness and thought 99.9% of people reading this could or would not have any desire to live there.  I am that other small percentage.  It is a place I want to visit before I die.

The temperature was above freezing so much of my journey today will be in muddy conditions, yet it is still cold enough that some of the recent snow still shown through the woods like a beacon of white light.  I chose my normal route around an out cove in the lake around the back and across two wooden bridges.  I reached the other side of the lake and headed up a familiar steep hill.  I reached the peak rather quickly and then paused for a moment to realize my breath was not as labored as normal, nor was my chest-thumping as heavily as I remember.  I must be getting in better shape.

At the top, I decided to take the left fork and passed the houses on my left.  The wind began to pick up and I could hear what sounded like babies screaming all around me.  It was an eerie feeling, and for a slight moment, I got a bit frightened.  I know that the sound was only the creaking of the trees as they swayed in the wind and popped at their joints, but it did sound like crying babies.

This part of the trail was dry, likely due to the elevation and numerous wind gusts.  I continued until I reached the next intersection and again took the left path on trail 12.  I was now descending toward a creek that I could hear long before I saw it.   At the bottom of the hill, only feet from the flowing creek was a bench.  I have passed this many times, but today I chose to sit.  As I sat, even though I was in a small valley I could feel and hear the wind blowing.  The added moisture of the creek gave the wind and extra crispness, as a shiver ran down my back.  I closed my eyes for a bit and listened to the gurgling creek as the water flowed over the rocks creating small pools and waterfalls.  I could hear in the distance crows squawking, birds singing and squirrels rustling through the leaves.  I absorbed not only the sounds but the calming feeling like a sponge.  I reveled in the fact that being alone afforded me this moment of pure serenity.

I soon headed up the hill after crossing the creek.  This time I did have labored breathing and my heart was pumping.  This hill is much steeper.  When I reached the top I normally go right and move toward the back of the woods, today I decided to go left.  The path was muddy and I found myself walking more on the bed of leaves in the woods than on the muddy unforgiving path.  As I was walking beside the path I saw a face.  Not a human face but one in the tree as seen here.

The trail eventually opened into a field.  Though I had been here before this place was very unfamiliar to me.  I was at the highest point on the property, in an open field that was surrounded by woods.  The prevailing winds muffled and other sounds and I felt uneasily alone.  My pace quickened as I move on the outside of the field as directed by the path.  I knew from seeing the map there was a small parcel of land up here that was private property, and soon I could see it.

The old wooden shack was being overtaken by bamboo and vines.  There was a small sign on the corner that said KEEP OFF in red.  The only window visible from the field had a pane missing and from where I was standing I could not make out anything inside due to the darkness.  As a horror movie fan, this was exactly what I have seen hundreds of times on Friday the 13th, Wrong Turn, Cabin the in the Woods,  and countless other films of this genre.  I do admit I was a bit taken aback by the structure and location.  The wind was still blowing muffling out even my footsteps as I approached the structure.  Being me, I had to get a shot of this place.

I was now within a suitable distance from the cabin, still maintaining my stance in the field which was Mt. St. Francis property.  I took the shot I was after, only hoping I could have gone inside to get more when I say off in the distance a house.  Deep in the woods, covered by shadows due to the density of the forest surrounding it, was a house.  This house was in better shape than the cabin I just saw but still showed signs of losing the battle with nature.  It appeared to be occupied.  While being alone, and knowing what I know about horror movies, a lump developed in my throat.  I decided to move on and I did, quickly.  I was sure to check behind me a few times before I made it back to the trail and into the adjacent wood line.

I took trail 10 down a steep hill and eventually was back into familiar territory.  As I continued my journey I could not help but smirk as I had just scared myself for no good reason.  Ironically I was here to relax and unwind, yet my mind had other plans.  It was not long before the familiar surrounding lulled me back into a trance as only nature can do.  I made my way back to the deepest part of the property listening again to another creek flowing nearby and then headed east back towards my car.  For the first time, I had seen the path I was on had been turned into a small flowing stream.  Normally after a rain, I see puddles both big and small, today I saw the water flowing down the path.  The destruction was also evident as I saw many small trees broken in half, some of which I had to sidestep as they blocked the trail.

My return journey allowed for some reflection, meditation and praying.  I was able to declutter my mind, thank God for giving me everything he had, and allowing me to be here with Him.  I feel sad for those who never get to experience nature, especially alone.  Hiking for me is pure joy, but when I am alone I am the happiest.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim