Skip to main content

Why colonized mind?

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

The root of the term colonized or colonized mind goes back to the British and settlement of races especially those of Native Americans when they came to America.  Following the colony rule and believing that any race but the British race is inferior is the concept of the term.  To me, I chose the colonized mind as my blog title because I feel the term to me means I have been colonized to a belief and way of thinking based on society.  For me, it has nothing to do with race.

I was raised in society to believe that I must do certain things, think certain ways, believe certain things and act a certain way.  Individualism was encouraged but only if it fit in the norm of society.

I consider myself a Catholic and was raised that way.  I was raised to attend church every Sunday and every Holy Day.  I was taught the Bible was 100% accurate and every word in it as fact.  I never really felt like that was the best path for me.  In college, I studied other religions such as Judaism, Muslim, and Buddhism.  For me, it was eye-opening.  Everything I was taught was questioned or challenged in these classes and it began to change my way of thinking.  My belief in God is stronger because of this, but the way I worship him is much different than the traditional methods.  I do not attend church in a building but in the woods.  I celebrate his glory in his setting and practice the methods of confession and ask for forgiveness and pray while I am out in nature.

I am also colonized in my thinking.  I was raised to respect money but was also not shamed in borrowing it.  This has recently changed as I am focusing on getting out of debt and paying everything off.  I am focused on knowing where every dollar goes, and have no plans to ever borrow money again.  I was also raised to believe alcohol consumption is okay.  Though I have no issues with anyone else drinking, I had a life-altering experience as a young person that helped me decide to never drink.  Even simple things like watching college basketball have been drilled into my brain.  I have never enjoyed watching this, so I don’t.  I am focusing as I get older on being more independent.  Doing what I want no matter the consequences.

When it comes to my career, education, political beliefs I was again raised to do certain things as the norm.  If I could go back I would do many things differently, but I am happy how my life has turned out.  I used to value other’s opinions and try to be the person society wanted me to be, at the cost of my unhappiness.  As I grow older I care less and less about how others feel, think, or care little about their opinions.  I am reminded almost daily when people give their thoughts and opinions even when not asked for that I was raised to be a good little soldier of society.  I have a very select few people that I respect and will truly listen to their advice and opinions, all others opinions, thoughts, and ideas tend to flow like fleeting thoughts through my brain.  Therefor a moment, gone the next, and just as creditable.  I know in my heart who I can believe and trust in and who is truly out there for their benefit.

As I work to decolonize my mind I define that journey as a person with a decolonized mind accepts their past, loves their present and creates a future regardless of what stands in their way.  That is my ultimate goal and the way I want my mind to work.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim