Skip to main content

I saw a copperhead.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

Today’s journey was one of solitude though I was not alone.  I hiked with my good friend Kristin and my other friend Matthew.  Today’s hike was at O’Bannon Woods State Park.

I arrived at the Nature Center early, as I often do, and decided to go inside while waiting.  I was surprised to see someone was there working.  I chatted about my upcoming trek and was educated on what types of animals I might see in the coming months there.  I was specifically interested to find out that the only poisonous snake I might encounter in the future is the copperhead.  Though not aggressive they still can ruin my day if bitten.  I spent a few moments looking at the copperhead, cottonmouth, and rattlesnake behind the glass, then went outside to meet my friends.

I had planned to hike the Tulip Trail to the Campground, then work our way over to the Rocky Ridge Trail, hike that loop and return to the cars.  All total around 3 miles.  The temperature was perfect for me (around 35 degrees), there was a very slight breeze and the skies were overcast.  My brain felt like this picture.

We headed out on the Tulip Trail.  This trail is not my typical type of trail.  It is very wide and covered in gravel.  It is meant for casual hikers and families to enjoy.  It was useful as we returned, but more on that in a bit.  As we made our way down the trail the talk quickly shifted to the recent school shootings and how the world has gone mad.  There were discussions on how today people do not have dialog or discussions anymore, they just argue and get offended.  That also led to the position of parenting.  How many of these mass shooting likely could be prevented by good parenting and more specifically parents that spend time and talk to their children?

Eventually, our fork in the trail split off and became more of what I was used to and expected.  A discernible trail but muddy, leaf-covered and twisty.  This began our ascent to the campground and provided some very beautiful scenery.  We soon reached the campground and maneuvered across the lot to the trailhead entrance of Rocky Ridge.

Maybe twenty feet into the trail it began to start sleeting.  At first, it was very light and added a new sensation to the hike as the small pellets hit the trail, leaves on the ground and the trees.  This began to put me in a trance.  I heard my friends talking but honestly, it felt like they were hundreds of feet away and I was in a cave.  My mind began to slow down and my body did too.  I went into autopilot.  Leading the hike I had an unobstructed view of nature in front and to the sides of me.  I remember making small talk with them but honestly, it felt like it was someone else talking, not me.  I was absorbed in my thoughts and a sense of Zen-like euphoria came over me.  We continued to hike another mile or so before the sleet turned to snow.  Like the sleet, the snow was small at first but later on became huge snowflakes that blanketed the area and us in a giant overcoat of white.

As we reached the intersection of the Overlook Trail and the Rocky Ridge Trail, we began a slight descent toward the creek.  I was not long before I could hear the oh so familiar sound of flowing water.  The sound I often associate with my anxiety flowing away and that gentle calmness only obtained from doing what I love.

Matthew soon spotted some deer tracks in the mud.  This broke my concentration and I soon found myself looking for them too.  I snapped this shot of baby tracks and it made me smile.  My thoughts drifted back to the deer I saw on my way to the Nature Center and the three we saw off in the distance while hiking.  My wife told me as I left the house this morning to think happy thoughts, and I was.

The flowing creek was getting close, as my ears could attest.  We stopped for a moment on a large boulder overlooking the creek and I could feel the cool air rising from below.  This re-energized me.  It felt like a gentle hand caressing my face that was full of electricity.  At that moment I realized for the first time in years I was not out of breath nor fatigued as I often am with hiking.  I didn’t need to stop like I normally do.  Maybe this is helping me physically?  I know it helps me spiritually and mentally.

The creek was flowing quite nicely and I gingerly made our way across it and up the hill.  We were now across the ridge on the other side from where we came.  The snow began to fall harder and in much larger flakes.  In a matter of moments the trail, surrounding woods, and trees were covered with snow.  I barely noticed that my hat was covered in snow and my beard was soaked.  It was still 35 degrees but it didn’t matter.  I was toasty and felt so warm at that moment.  I was glad I was leading this hike and I got to see a fresh undisturbed trail ahead of me.  Though I was there with friends I was alone with God.  I was in ah of his beautiful surroundings and was glad I was able to experience Him in that way.

We continued on and eventually made it back to the original Tulip Trail.  The gravel helped clean the mud our shoes and was like an escalator bringing us back to reality.  We all said our casual goodbye’s, I stripped off my wet backpack, jacket, and hat and got in my car.  I sat there for a few moments reflecting on my day and thanking God for giving me the ability to still do this and with such good people.  As I started my car a song came on by Amos Lee and the words defiantly fit for me this week “Lately I, I’ve been headed for a breakdown.  Every time I try to lie down, well my mind just gets away.  I can’t even close my eyes now.”  These trips to the woods ground me and help me put it all in perspective.  After today I will sleep well, both body and mind!

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim