Skip to main content

Am I a robot?

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

I feel sometimes I am a robot.  I have been programmed to follow the herd.  Society dictates how I feel, think and act.  But I can be reprogrammed.

Today I attended a session at work that focused on focusing on the positives in your life, not the negatives as so many people do like me.   Growing up I was taught to focus on my lower grades in school, focus on things I was doing wrong and even perceived negatives on my health and appearance.    Today’s session taught me 5 steps to help change my thinking and ultimately my outlook on life.

First, it was advised to establish a gratitude ritual.  I am to write down three new things I am thankful for each day.  There were no criteria listed.  It could be something simple like it is cold outside and I am thankful, or something much deeper and more meaningful.  I already have many thoughts flowing through my head, and will begin this process tomorrow.

Second, start a gratitude journal.  Similar to the first one this goal is to write one positive experience I had within the last 24 hours.  Again this does not have to be a book if it can be something simple.

Thirdly, is simple.  Exercise.  I began on 1.1.18 trying to get 10,000 steps a day.  Most days I make or exceed it, others I don’t quite make it, but this helps to increase my exercise and this step.

Number four is daily meditation and focus.  Now, this is difficult for me.  I have NEVER taken the time to relax my mind.  I can fulfill this when I hike but challenge myself to do this every day.  I will start with 5 minutes a day and see how this goes.

Finally, do at least one act of kindness daily.  I try to do this as often as I can, but will purposely make this a daily habit.  This can be for strangers, family, or friends.

Most people that know me to know I stress and worry too much.  My brain goes to what is the worst scenario possible and I focus on that.  99% of the time it is all for not.  I am hoping by making changes in 2018 that I can retrain my brain to deal with things that come up, when they come up, and to focus on the positives in my life, not the negatives.

I have found my love for hiking this year, my love for photography in the past few years, and now a new and scary path of writing blogs.  Thanks for coming along my journey and I hope by revealing a side of me that it will help you look inwards to reevaluate how you think, feel and live.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim