Skip to main content

I walk alone.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

After a short week at work and some planning on my part I was set and ready to hit the trails.  Throughout the week I had confirmations from fellow hikers that eventually all fell through.  I decided Sunday morning I need to get out so I did.

I arrive at Mt. St. Francis at 9 am on a 17-degree morning.  As crazy as you think I am, I saw 3 runners, 2 walkers, and 2 dogs already heading out on the trails ahead of me.

I hopped out of my car, threw on my jacket, hat, backpack, and gloves.  I checked the map, started my Garmin watch, grabbed the camera and off I went.  Like a few times before I headed down the gravel path past the water tower and on to a narrow dirt path.  To the left was a field of tall grass and to the right a dense patch of forest.  I proceed forward and eventually hit the trailhead of Trail 11.

As I entered the woods and started my descent down the path it was like I walked through a waterfall.  I could feel the stress immediately start to go away.  My breaths got deeper, my body relaxed and I felt a deep resonating joy, which I can only get from being immersed in the woods.  Every breath I took filled my lungs with the cold crisp, dry air.  I supposed it should have hurt, but it felt like a pure shot of adrenaline.

My mind immediately began to race as it often does in daily life.  What will I write about, what shots will I get, and what will I title my post.  I forced myself to stop.  Stop I did.  Right there in the middle of the trail.  I screamed as loud as I could (internally of course).  I took yet another deep breather, composed myself and reminded myself why I was here.  R-E-L-A-X!

An advantage of being alone is I don’t have the sometimes mindless chatter with others, nor the need to fill that silence with conversation.  I was there, along with my thoughts.  Why, because I wanted to be.  So I started again.  This time with no expectations, but to enjoy where I was and who I was with.

I continued on and soon could see the white of a frozen creek ahead.  I made my way down the path and approached the creek.  As I reached the creek I saw a man and his dog approaching from the top of the hill heading my way.  I said hello and then ducked into the woods lining up this shot.

Continuing on I made it to the back of the property where again I saw more frozen water, both in the creek and on waterfalls flowing into the creek.  I stopped, walked around took a few shots, and sat on a log.  I sat there about 10 minutes in silence just soaking up nature, and reflecting on how wonderful this place is.  For those moments this was my world, my time and I felt an overwhelming calm rush over me.  As a lifelong Catholic, I have been to church more times than I count but personally battle with the concept of ‘organized’ religion and the expectations that come along with it.  Here and now at this moment, I was in my church.  It was me and God.  And that calm I felt, I know what, or who I should say, that was.  I wish I could have stayed there longer.

I headed back to the trail.  The frozen creek was now to my right and a dense set of woods was to my left.  The trail meandered back and forth and eventually, I reached a wooden bridge.  I crossed, smiling, as I recalled my last trip across this same bridge when I asked the group if anyone checked for trolls.  I did not.

Another half mile or so I came to a newly built bridge in the area I have seen many times before.  Today it was a little special.  I saw some footprints on the ice in the creek and had to get the shot.  I gingerly walked out onto the creek and took my shot as seen below.  At that moment I knew the title of my post.  A single set of prints from someone else who walked (or slid) alone.

Soon I was again approaching another hiker and his dog.  The dog reached me first.  I was greeted by a collie with a wagging tail, tongue hanging out and her heavy breathing filling the air as only seen on cold days.  I bent down to pet her and was soon approached by her master.  He saw my camera and remembered me from a previous hike.  He chatted for a few while his dog ran around us, in and out of the woods, on and off the trail.  Wishing each other a nice day we soon headed off in different directions.

I headed up a steep hill and then came across the best site of the day.  A large frozen dam was straight in front of me.  I took several shots from different angles and even ventured across a wooden bridge and out onto a dry spot on the dam.  As a very small stream of water flowed over the dam (everything else was frozen), I heard an eerie sound emanating from right above my head. The sound was like a whale off in the distance, but I quickly realized it was the ice shifting.  As I continued to shoot and then headed back to the trailhead I could still hear the echoing sounds of the shifting ice in the nearby lake.

I soon saw the water tower and new I was approaching my vehicle.  Along the path was some dried dirt but in that dirt, I saw not only a set of deer tracks but right next to them a set of shoe prints.  I wondered which was there first, or could magically a human have been walking their pet deer?

Robert Browning once said, “Man’s reach should exceed his grasp.”  Today instead of staying in a warm house, sitting on the couch and doing nothing.  I reached beyond my grasp to get out and do something uncomfortable for me (being alone).  In this sense, it was beyond my reach, but now that I have done this, I will no longer be uncomfortable with hiking alone.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim