Skip to main content

Focus.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

Today I had a truly spiritual experience.  Once again my mind and soul felt the need to get out among the trees, so off I went.  My church of choice today was Mt. St. Francis, and the congregation consisted of just one ….. me!

I started at 8 am in the fog.  The temperature was hovering around freezing but for me, the air was truly refreshing.  I filled my lungs with the cool air and like always my head began to clear.  I decided today to go the opposite direction of my normal trek, having the rising sun at my back instead of in my eyes.   As I left my car and began my way toward the lake, I was quickly reminded of the temperature as I began sliding on the paved pathway due to some freezing fog.  As I was still recovering from a recent fall I decided to move off the path and walk in the grass.  The crunching under my feet from the frozen grass was not a sound I particularly cared for, but soon I was at the lake and began my hike on a previously muddy, but now frozen path.  The different perspectives, having never gone this direction reminded me that I need to constantly look at various aspects of my life and see them from a different angle.  I appreciate what I have and not get caught up in the same routine.

I made my way down the winding path, carefully stepping over roots that had an almost invisible thin layer of frozen fog on them.  I was maybe a foot from the water’s edge and today would not be a good day to take a dip, either on purpose or via a slip and fall.  I continued and reached a long bridge that crossed over a bog.  I gingerly held the rail as I crossed this 40-foot bridge, feeling my boots so wanting to go any direction other than what I intended.  I completed the trek and entered the woods on the other side of the lake.  As I entered the woods I felt the cool mist caress my face.  My first thought was about my wife and how miserable she would be, but I smiled knowing she loved the fact that I found something to clear my mind.  As I moved deeper in the woods the fog seemed to muffle what little sounds I heard.  It also did something else.  It began muffling all those stressful thoughts that run through my brain every day.

I moved across yet another bridge and up a steep hill.  At this point, I was breathing heavier and could hear my heartbeat in my head.  My breath was heavy and I was adding to the mist that already surrounded me.  As I reached the pinnacle of this hill I stopped to take a break.  My breath got lighter, and my heartbeat slowed.  Here is where I noticed many of the branches had frozen water droplets on them, and I could not pass the opportunity to take a few shots?

The next part of my journey was a bit unnerving.  As the frozen rain began to melt the raindrops fell but were more solid than water so I felt like people were walking all around me in the woods as well as behind me.  I spent the next few minutes on edge but again reminded myself why I was there, and quickly turned my uneasy feeling into one of joy.  As I reached the next ridgeline I saw a squirrel sitting directly in my path.  He casually looked at me and then scurried off into the woods.

In the distance, I began to hear water flowing in the creek.  I drew closer and closer through the fog and eventually was standing at the water’s edge.  I took a few minutes to enjoy the calming sounds and snapped a few photos before I crossed yet another wooden bridge and made my way back to the back of the property.  Today was particularly muddy and I spent a significant amount of time off the trail sidestepping large puddles as I have often done in life.  As I headed back in the direction of my car I passed a young kid who was out jogging.  We traded quick ‘good mornings’ and like that he was gone.

I finished my walk next to a large field.  Again seeing this from the venue of everything being frozen reminded me that I too have felt frozen in aspects of my life, but nature and these woods provide me the spark that thaws me out.

As music is also interwoven throughout my life I finished my hike with song lyrics floating in my head.  “Too many hassles in my local life, surviving’ the strain.  And a man without a focused life could drive him insane.” – Scarface.  As 2018 continues I want to have a focus on the things that truly matter to me.  With age comes reflection, knowledge and hopefully wisdom.  My focus in life has begun to change.  I keep things close to the vest, whether that be lifelong friends, family or passions.  The drama, politics, and worry I have no control over will no longer cause me strain.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim