Skip to main content

Focus.

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography

Today I had a truly spiritual experience.  Once again my mind and soul felt the need to get out among the trees, so off I went.  My church of choice today was Mt. St. Francis, and the congregation consisted of just one ….. me!

I started at 8 am in the fog.  The temperature was hovering around freezing but for me, the air was truly refreshing.  I filled my lungs with the cool air and like always my head began to clear.  I decided today to go the opposite direction of my normal trek, having the rising sun at my back instead of in my eyes.   As I left my car and began my way toward the lake, I was quickly reminded of the temperature as I began sliding on the paved pathway due to some freezing fog.  As I was still recovering from a recent fall I decided to move off the path and walk in the grass.  The crunching under my feet from the frozen grass was not a sound I particularly cared for, but soon I was at the lake and began my hike on a previously muddy, but now frozen path.  The different perspectives, having never gone this direction reminded me that I need to constantly look at various aspects of my life and see them from a different angle.  I appreciate what I have and not get caught up in the same routine.

I made my way down the winding path, carefully stepping over roots that had an almost invisible thin layer of frozen fog on them.  I was maybe a foot from the water’s edge and today would not be a good day to take a dip, either on purpose or via a slip and fall.  I continued and reached a long bridge that crossed over a bog.  I gingerly held the rail as I crossed this 40-foot bridge, feeling my boots so wanting to go any direction other than what I intended.  I completed the trek and entered the woods on the other side of the lake.  As I entered the woods I felt the cool mist caress my face.  My first thought was about my wife and how miserable she would be, but I smiled knowing she loved the fact that I found something to clear my mind.  As I moved deeper in the woods the fog seemed to muffle what little sounds I heard.  It also did something else.  It began muffling all those stressful thoughts that run through my brain every day.

I moved across yet another bridge and up a steep hill.  At this point, I was breathing heavier and could hear my heartbeat in my head.  My breath was heavy and I was adding to the mist that already surrounded me.  As I reached the pinnacle of this hill I stopped to take a break.  My breath got lighter, and my heartbeat slowed.  Here is where I noticed many of the branches had frozen water droplets on them, and I could not pass the opportunity to take a few shots?

The next part of my journey was a bit unnerving.  As the frozen rain began to melt the raindrops fell but were more solid than water so I felt like people were walking all around me in the woods as well as behind me.  I spent the next few minutes on edge but again reminded myself why I was there, and quickly turned my uneasy feeling into one of joy.  As I reached the next ridgeline I saw a squirrel sitting directly in my path.  He casually looked at me and then scurried off into the woods.

In the distance, I began to hear water flowing in the creek.  I drew closer and closer through the fog and eventually was standing at the water’s edge.  I took a few minutes to enjoy the calming sounds and snapped a few photos before I crossed yet another wooden bridge and made my way back to the back of the property.  Today was particularly muddy and I spent a significant amount of time off the trail sidestepping large puddles as I have often done in life.  As I headed back in the direction of my car I passed a young kid who was out jogging.  We traded quick ‘good mornings’ and like that he was gone.

I finished my walk next to a large field.  Again seeing this from the venue of everything being frozen reminded me that I too have felt frozen in aspects of my life, but nature and these woods provide me the spark that thaws me out.

As music is also interwoven throughout my life I finished my hike with song lyrics floating in my head.  “Too many hassles in my local life, surviving’ the strain.  And a man without a focused life could drive him insane.” – Scarface.  As 2018 continues I want to have a focus on the things that truly matter to me.  With age comes reflection, knowledge and hopefully wisdom.  My focus in life has begun to change.  I keep things close to the vest, whether that be lifelong friends, family or passions.  The drama, politics, and worry I have no control over will no longer cause me strain.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

31 Days of Halloween - Part 2 of 4

Part 1 Week 2 Halloween (2007) – I know I might get some blowback from this, but like the Friday the 13 th series, I also enjoy the Halloween series. It had some duds (Season of the Witch), but overall the 111 kills Michael Myers has committed lends itself to some good films. The reason I picked this version as my favorite is partly because of the vision Rob Zombie brings to it. The kid playing Michael is creepy and the 6’8″ Michael (played by Tyler Mane) is formidable on screen. I met the man once and he is huge. So I like it because of the creepy kid (Daeg Faerch), creepy adult (Tyler Mane) and of course no Rob Zombie movie would be complete without his lovely wife Sheri Moon Zombie as Michael’s mother. To me, this version is the best of the series with no disrespect to the first one. A Nightmare on Elm Street – The original movie came out in 1984 and I saw it that same year. This is one of my favorite movies but the series (other than Freddy vs. Jason) was a disappoint...