Skip to main content

Spirit Animal

 


I recently watched the movie Couples Retreat, which I have seen many times. It is a comfort movie for me. Part of the movie has each couple being presented with their ‘spirit animal’ and that, of course, got me thinking.

There have been studies done, cultures that believe, and even people who identify with spirit animals. If you Google spirit animal, you will find many ‘quizzes’ that will help you identify ‘your’ spirit animal. Google also defines this subject as a spirit animal refers to a spirit which helps guide or protect a person on a journey and whose characteristics that person shares or embodies.

People have chosen many majestic animals such as the wolf, eagle, bear, lion, and cougar, to mention a few. I began thinking of who best identifies with me and my personality and I came up with a cartoon character based on a real animal. The Tasmanian Devil. Also referred to as Taz in the Looney Toons universe.

Taz is generally portrayed as a ferocious, albeit dim-witted, carnivore with a notoriously short temper and little patience. He is described as a ‘vicious, evil-tempered brute with jaws like a steel trap’. Though he can be very devious, he is also sweet at times. His enormous appetite seems to know no bounds, as he will eat anything in his path. He is best known for his speech consisting mostly of grunts, growls, and rasps as well as his ability to spin like a vortex and bite through nearly anything. While in motion, he’s often depicted as a spinning tornado, drilling himself through trees or soil. Taz does have one weakness: he can be calmed by almost any music. While in this calm state, he can be easily dealt with.

Like Taz, I have a voracious appetite that seems to never be satisfied. My patience is limited, but fortunately, medication helps to keep it in check. I am short-tempered, which is kept in check by medication, sometimes causes me to come across as dim-witted when discussing different subjects. My wife criticized my latest Facebook post, calling it my "typical" deceptive post, claiming I didn't provide the full story. Unaware of the posting rules, I made a dim-witted mistake. Finally, music has always been one of my go-to methods for finding calm. Not every genre or artist has the power to do it, but some music, unlike Taz, can create that impact. I suppose once my wife has indulged in a music session, she might be more inclined to handle my requests.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim