Skip to main content

Not good enough

 



Friday’s session with Erin was very helpful and informative. It also helped me understand one of my biggest mental issues. I have a plan now on how to lessen or overcome it.

After discussing my issue with Erin, she stated to me that consciously or unconsciously, my mother treated me in a passive-aggressive way by comparing me to my friends, family and even classmates. Her intention, I am sure, was to highlight their success and the good things they were doing or have done, but internally I got the message that I was not good enough.

Whether it was hearing about my cousins’ adorable children, the impressive achievements of my high school classmates, or even updates about mutual acquaintances, she always seemed to know everything. The message within me remained consistent. My effort was not up to par, at least in her mind.

Decades of hearing these messages have led me to feeling inadequate and insecure. Like most things in life, I seek validation. Every time I get rejected for a job; I validate I am not good enough. When I lose contact with ‘friends’; I validate I am not good enough. When friends decline invitations over and over to hang out; I validate I am not good enough. Even when my son or wife get mad at me; I validate I am not good enough.

My psyche is fragile. It does not take much for me to justify the feelings that I so often have. This was what Erin and I spoke at length about in my last session. Her advice for me was to challenge my thinking. She mentioned that because I have lived this way for so long, it will be natural for me to go to this negative and dark place. However, she has challenged me to not only recognize these feelings and thoughts, but to replace them with more positive thoughts and feelings.
She pointed out that I possess this ability, as she observed me uncomfortably accepting compliments on my photography. I used to despise compliments, always doubting whether my work was truly worthy of praise.

Taking baby steps, I will begin trying to challenge my thoughts and feelings when the insecurity floods my brain. Not to jump to the extreme of “I am great” or “I am perfect”, but to start small and say to myself I am okay. I am enough. Hoping over time I can increase this positivity from okay to good or even great.

These relentless self-doubt thoughts of not measuring up as a husband, father, friend, brother, or even as an employee or candidate have taken a toll on my well-being. I yearn to regain my peace and reassess my worth as a father, husband, and friend in every aspect of my life. In addition, I must learn to confront and overcome my internal voice that constantly questions whether I was truly an adequate son, despite the negative messages I received throughout my upbringing.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

31 Days of Halloween - Part 2 of 4

Part 1 Week 2 Halloween (2007) – I know I might get some blowback from this, but like the Friday the 13 th series, I also enjoy the Halloween series. It had some duds (Season of the Witch), but overall the 111 kills Michael Myers has committed lends itself to some good films. The reason I picked this version as my favorite is partly because of the vision Rob Zombie brings to it. The kid playing Michael is creepy and the 6’8″ Michael (played by Tyler Mane) is formidable on screen. I met the man once and he is huge. So I like it because of the creepy kid (Daeg Faerch), creepy adult (Tyler Mane) and of course no Rob Zombie movie would be complete without his lovely wife Sheri Moon Zombie as Michael’s mother. To me, this version is the best of the series with no disrespect to the first one. A Nightmare on Elm Street – The original movie came out in 1984 and I saw it that same year. This is one of my favorite movies but the series (other than Freddy vs. Jason) was a disappoint...