Skip to main content

Winter


 

Friday morning. I sit here and stare out the window. Overnight we got around 2 inches of snow. I have already been outside attempting to clear the back deck, sidewalk, and part of the driveway. The blowing snow has undone most of my hard work.

A warm pumpkin spice chai tea warms my insides and fills my nose with a fresh aroma of one of my favorite fragrances. The stream rises from my “The Mountains Are Calling and I Must Go” mug while I stare out at a group of crows feeding off the peanuts and birdseed. I laid out for them this morning.

The wind whips around, carrying a swirling chorus of snow that dances and twirls in the frigid air. Each snowflake, a tiny minor masterpiece, lands softly on the ground. The world in front of me blurs into a swirling white vortex, and muffling sounds of hushed serenity. Here, in the heart of a winter storm, I find not just warmth and shelter, but an unexpected solace.

There’s a strange beauty in the chaos outside, a raw power in the way the world surrenders to the grip of a snowstorm. Yet, inside this haven of florescent lights and comforting scents, I feel a deep sense of peace. It’s the quiet knowledge that all around me, life continues, uninterrupted by the fury raging outside. My quiet corner of the world, with its promise of hot tea, accompanied by a slight smile on my face, feels so comforting against the vast white canvas of winter.

As I refocus on my work before me, my heart is a little lighter, my breath a little steadier. I carry with me a newfound appreciation for the comfort that can be found in the most unexpected places. Winter’s icy grip may hold this part of the world in its thrall, but even amid the storm, there is always a haven to be found. Soothing warm tea, beautiful views and the black crows that feed only feet from my window. Their black feathers stand is sharp contrast to the blanket of snow that surrounds them.

Most people hate winter and view it as cold, desolate, and unappealing. Personally, I am the opposite. I relish the cold. I even accept the gray skies. While most choose to hibernate, winter provides me a venue to explore the world with fewer distractions and fewer people.

Winter is the slow-down. Winter is the search for self. Winter gives the silence we need to listen. Winter goes gray so we can see our own colors…”–Terri Guillemets

Until next time,

Tim

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim