Skip to main content

Stick Figure

 

These past few weeks I have been in a funk. Pressures from work, lack of hiking or walking, and high levels of stress have pushed my anxiety above reason. A recent visit to see Dr. Erin, she stated, “I could see on your face that something is wrong.”

After speaking to her about my biggest stress, work, and the compounding lack of time to hike or walk, she gave me homework. First, I must get out and “take care of myself”. Part of this involves listening to music, which I have also not done much lately.

Saturday while Marcie and Kraven took a nap, I dove into a recent find called Stick Figure. Like Prince, their music really speaks to me. However, their music is not like Prince’s, the message and music of Stick Figure speaks to me. A few songs in and my anxiety is lower and stress level has dropped.

Hailing from Southern California, Stick Figure has carved a unique niche in the American reggae landscape. Founded in 2006 by multi-instrumentalist Scott Woodruff, the band initially started as a one-man project before blossoming into a full-fledged group with a dedicated fanbase.

Stick Figure’s sound blends classic reggae elements like laid-back rhythms, soulful vocals, and melodic beats. Their contemporary influences combine electronic flourishes and dub production techniques. While Woodruff’s smooth, yet expressive vocals add a captivating layer to the mix.

Most music I listen to is dark and can even be depressing. I find comfort often in the darkness. With Stick Figure, the music is positive, upbeat, yet not sappy.

There’s a moment, isn’t there, when the music transcends mere sound and reaches right into the marrow of your being? It’s a feeling like being touched by starlight, a brush against the infinite woven into vibrating air. That’s how music speaks to my soul, a language older than words, deeper than reason.

Perhaps it’s the way a soaring melody mirrors the yearning in my heart, the way a driving beat echoes the rhythm of my footsteps racing towards a dream. Maybe it’s the melancholic singing of sorrows I haven’t yet named, a comforting chorus to the ache I thought I bore alone. Or maybe it’s the unbridled joy of comforting lyrics, igniting a spark of pure happiness that chases away the shadows clinging to my spirit.

Music is a chameleon, its moods as fluid as the seasons. A song or melody can lull me into a state of serene reverie, a gentle breeze ruffling the leaves of my inner garden. It can ignite a fire within. My pulse thrumming in response to the urgent call of drums and pounding guitars, urging me to rise and dance. It can be a cloak of comfort, wrapping me in its familiar embrace on nights when the world feels too vast and cold.

Music isn’t just background noise, it’s a conversation with my soul. Songs listen to the unspoken whispers of my heart, reflects them back in a thousand amplified echoes. Song lyrics can say things I cannot put into words. It validates the tears I’ve been holding back; celebrates the triumphs I’ve kept secret. Music whispers of possibilities just beyond my reach.

Music leaves its mark on my mood. A melancholy ballad can cleanse the air after a storm, leaving behind a quiet peace. The pulsing anthem can inject a shot of adrenaline into my weary veins, propelling me forward with renewed purpose. A whimsical melody can paint a smile on my face, reminding me of the simple joys that life holds.

And so, I surrender to music. Each note a brushstroke, each chord a whispered secret unknown to me. For in the language of music, I find solace, understanding, and the raw, unfiltered truth of my being. And that, my friend, is the magic of music touching my soul.

Stick Figure has re-sparked this magic and changed my mood, even if only temporarily. Listening to a song or two, even more if my world is chaotic, Stick Figure can reign me in and ground me. Something I do not take lightly.

If you are interested in their music, I would recommend the following songs. Heartland (my favorite), In This Love, Paradise (Universal Sound Version), Burn the Night, Sound of the Sea, Edge of the Ocean, and Fall into the Sun.

Here are a few lyrics that can lead to a big grin, spark a flood of emotions, even tears, but all lower my anxiety and stress.

Fall into the Sun – “Just happy to be alive, you know we all got a right To be living the life we was destined to Someday this world must be mine, so push my worries aside I’ll be holding a smile, that’s what I’m gonna do

Heartland – “The day will come, maybe not for a while I can give you my world, we can share in a smile Let me tell you like it is, it’s all a man can really do Close your eyes, and these words will come true

This next one describes me and how Marcie keeps me going every day!

In This Love – “I feel the weight of the world on my shoulders Our love, it always stays the same I don’t believe all the things that they told us It’s love that makes us feel this way

Burn the Night AwayIgnite the flame, you light the fire. 

Spark the change in my heart’s desire
The sun is shining on my face from miles away
All my days they’ve been getting brighter
Outside the walls these thoughts are broken
Take what you want, give the rest away
But some may say The world’s a stage, I just want to play”

Try to live a life, live a life wide open

Paradise “What is hopeless and what is real?
I wish I knew how I feel
I hope I can find that love inside
Give me shelter, bring me along
There’s a place where we all belong
Still I wonder, where’s my paradise?

Out of the darkness, show me the way
We all get lost, we’ve all been astray
Hold me close and tell me everything’s alright
The world keeps turnin’, the sun goes down
A moment of silence is the greatest sound
Still I wonder, where’s my paradise?”

If you’re looking for a fresh and vibrant take on reggae, give Stick Figure a listen. You might just dance to their infectious grooves and soak up their positive vibes.

Until next time,

Tim

Links:

Heartland video - https://youtu.be/ckpGDi5jPlI?si=LoHOTPf4oEwEC_o8

In This Love video - https://youtu.be/b_LsD-ImH74?si=DOYwid-Y52U9WXaT

Edge of the Ocean video - https://youtu.be/KUsf6PgD1_4?si=LJWN0GIcCQZa5vxS

Burn the Night video - https://youtu.be/rF3AgS281KI?si=VYYkbKot1olBlTZ9

Fall into the Sun video - https://youtu.be/jVEslHNh9E0?si=-wHjX1ZI_XDE9iwJ

Paradise (Universal Sound Version) - https://youtu.be/kEOue9aXRRM?si=3yxUHNqjbFvuI2Da

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leave

  I’m not okay. This week has been stressful. So much, in fact, I had to take a medical leave from Humana. It began today and will last through most of March. Though I am relieved somewhat, I still am fighting some of those internal demons that constantly haunt me. During my last visit with the doctor Erin, she knew immediately, without a word, that something was wrong. She noticed, and we discussed these stressors on several visits prior to my last one. It is not uncommon for me to face challenges and feel emotionally unsettled. I haven’t been okay for a while. Every morning, I am greeted with a racing heart and a wave of panic and anxiety as soon as I wake up. I feel as though my heart is a runaway train, racing uncontrollably and leaving me uncertain of its eventual destination. Whether it’s anxiety, fear, overwhelm, burnout, depression, ADHD, or simply the fast-paced world we live in today, my mind reached its breaking point. Overcoming and shaking off this feeling is like

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

  We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase. ‘ I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember ’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak. Liv

End

I don't worry about the world ending.  It has ended for me many times and always started the next morning. Until next time  Tim