Skip to main content

Living with Unwanted Flashbacks

 



We all have that dusty attic in our minds, where echoes of forgotten and moments of fleeting images gather. But for some of us, like me, that attic door swings open uninvited. Flooding my present with unwanted guests: flashbacks. These unwanted visitors aren’t here for tea and biscuits. Nor simply to say hello and wish me good will. They are here to replay scenes I desperately want to erase.

‘I hate getting flashbacks from things I don’t want to remember’ is a statement that carries the weight of unspoken stories. A statement for me that shares stories of trauma, loss, fear, and pain disguised as fleeting sensations. Those vivid emotions and intrusive thoughts that flow uncontrollably into my brain. Often like a raging river, but other times like a dripping faucet. It can be the sudden smell of rain triggering a childhood storm, a car backfiring, echoing a violent argument or harsh criticism from a parent, or a familiar song transporting you back to a moment of heartbreak.

Living with flashbacks can make me feel like being stuck on a broken record, the needle forever trapped in the worst groove of my life. The frustration of trying to be present yet being pulled back into the abyss of the past is both isolating and very exhausting. I fight the urge to flinch, to escape, to disappear into the shadows. To run away. No matter where I go or what I do, I can never escape my mind.

I know I am not alone in this battle. Flashbacks are a common symptom of trauma, affecting millions worldwide, not just me. I also know this is not a sign of weakness, but more of the symptomatic scars my brain creates to make sense of the unimaginable world where my thoughts take me.

So, to everyone struggling with unwanted flashbacks, like me, this is for you. Our past does not define us. We are brave, resilient, and deserving of a gift devoid of unwanted memories. We just need to convince my brain of this. Easier said than done, but it can be done.

Take a deep breath, walk in nature, train your brain, and remember, the attic door swings both ways. We all have the power to close the door, step into the light, and build a future filled with hope and healing.

As a society, we need to learn to talk (and listen). Let’s share and support each other on this journey of reclaiming our own stories. Even in the darkest corners of our memories, there will always be room for the light to shine through.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. listening is one of the hardest qualities that people have to practice. It is not taught in school, it is not taught in the world. The only people in your life that can teach you to listen is your family and maybe a friend. These are good details and good advice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Love to get your feedback on what you read!

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

31 Days of Halloween - Part 2 of 4

Part 1 Week 2 Halloween (2007) – I know I might get some blowback from this, but like the Friday the 13 th series, I also enjoy the Halloween series. It had some duds (Season of the Witch), but overall the 111 kills Michael Myers has committed lends itself to some good films. The reason I picked this version as my favorite is partly because of the vision Rob Zombie brings to it. The kid playing Michael is creepy and the 6’8″ Michael (played by Tyler Mane) is formidable on screen. I met the man once and he is huge. So I like it because of the creepy kid (Daeg Faerch), creepy adult (Tyler Mane) and of course no Rob Zombie movie would be complete without his lovely wife Sheri Moon Zombie as Michael’s mother. To me, this version is the best of the series with no disrespect to the first one. A Nightmare on Elm Street – The original movie came out in 1984 and I saw it that same year. This is one of my favorite movies but the series (other than Freddy vs. Jason) was a disappoint...