Skip to main content

New Year's Resolution

 

Today I am starting a series of posts about my photography. I know this will turn some of my readers off, as I was once told “your photography posts are boring, I don’t read them, I just delete them”, but it is in the spirit of New Year resolutions, Instagram top 9, Spotify top song list, etc. My goal is simple. I will review all my pictures I took for each month in 2023 and pick my favorite for that month. I will also explain why the one I chose is my favorite. Not based on technical data, but on feeling, emotions, or experience. I am not looking for the best photo I took or even a perfect photo (as I have none), but my favorite of that month. Unlike Instagram, my choice will be my own, not based on likes.

Some months will be difficult, like the month I spent in Colorado. Other months may be challenging, as I don’t hike or explore in summer months. However, I challenge you as a reader to answer a few questions about each post if you would be so kind. The feedback and perspective encourage me, and I love to hear other thoughts about my work (good or bad).

I plan to provide a link to the entire months’ worth of pictures in each post I write, along with the photo I chose as my favorite displayed at the top.

As we count down to the end of 2023, I am looking back at my work for the year and reflecting on the memories, thoughts, and emotions I experienced while photographing my world. I hope I see growth in my work and in myself.

Here are the questions I would like answered. First, what are your opinions on the photograph I chose? Which one would you have chosen for the month and why? Finally, does my favorite rank high based on the entirety of my months’ work? Why or why not?

This is all subjective of course, but a fun challenge for me and hopefully meaningful feedback as well.

Finally, I challenge the following folks to look back at their work for 2023 and do the same thing. Pick a favorite per month and list or post is somewhere, even if only sent to me. Mark, Neale, Amanda, Miranda, Kim, and Lisa.

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

31 Days of Halloween - Part 2 of 4

Part 1 Week 2 Halloween (2007) – I know I might get some blowback from this, but like the Friday the 13 th series, I also enjoy the Halloween series. It had some duds (Season of the Witch), but overall the 111 kills Michael Myers has committed lends itself to some good films. The reason I picked this version as my favorite is partly because of the vision Rob Zombie brings to it. The kid playing Michael is creepy and the 6’8″ Michael (played by Tyler Mane) is formidable on screen. I met the man once and he is huge. So I like it because of the creepy kid (Daeg Faerch), creepy adult (Tyler Mane) and of course no Rob Zombie movie would be complete without his lovely wife Sheri Moon Zombie as Michael’s mother. To me, this version is the best of the series with no disrespect to the first one. A Nightmare on Elm Street – The original movie came out in 1984 and I saw it that same year. This is one of my favorite movies but the series (other than Freddy vs. Jason) was a disappoint...