Skip to main content

Happy New Year

 

Since many of the stores already have Christmas stuff out, I set a New Year Resolution. I know it is early, but it was on my mind, so I wanted to share.

Over the past several years, my frustration with social media has grown. I have joined, deleted, and rejoined Facebook, mainly to follow photography groups.

I recently watched a video that struck a chord with me. The author spoke of the purpose of purpose of sharing things on social media, and in my case, my pictures. He talked about the desire to get likes, followers, and comments. That in the beginning all people, no matter what genre, strive for this. It is later that, as we grow in our work, those likes, follows and comments lessen as we strive to find our authentic voice.

I have always prided myself on doing what I like and not doing for others. This is apparent when one of my most photographs that now hand in three different locations (two homes and an office) is a picture I don’t like. I took it on a whim and almost deleted it when I got home from my hike and began reviewing my shots for the day.

Like these blogs, I write what is on my mind and what I am ruminating about now. My pictures are the same way. I admit I was from time to time shooting for others to get praise, likes and comments, but that has changed. I now shoot what I see and like. If others like it too, that is a bonus.

My New Years Resolution will be to not post for a year (maybe longer if this removes the stress and anxiety I feel) from Instagram or Facebook. Let me clarify a bit. When I say post, I mean my photographs taken with my camera. I might still ‘check-in’ or post an occasional selfie or shot taken with my phone, but my artwork will not appear from January 1st.

Unlike before, I will not be deleting my accounts, just not posting on them. I will still house my pictures on my 500px site and share samples of them from my work email, but my daily posts will not happen for at least a year.

I'll continue my daily Instagram posts for about 45 more days, but then I'll take a break to concentrate on my work and capturing what I enjoy. I will strive for a Happy New Year!

Until next time,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

A Walk In The Woods - part 3

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Day 3; We again hit the BRP and made our first stop at the Pisgah Visitor Center .    I bought two hats, looked around a bit and then we headed to Highway 276 and Looking Glass Falls .  This massive 60-foot fall was flowing hard.  The thunderous noise could be seen and felt in the parking area.  This location provided a wooden staircase down to the falls.  Quite easy in fact, but I was feeling the strain from the day before.  Like a giddy child, Mark was all over taking shots, getting wet, but had a smile from ear-to-ear the whole time.  I enjoyed the beauty and power of the falls, took one shot, but stayed where it was dry. Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography As we returned to the Blue Ridge Parkway the clouds parted, the sun came out and we both said we were in for a beautiful day (weather-wise).  We stopped along the BRP a few times capturing shots of the shadows on the road, an old rock bridge covered in moss and as we made our way up the BRP the clo...