Skip to main content

Lookout Peak - part 3

Photo by: Tim Bindner

From our travel from Colorado we crossed the border into Wyoming and arrived at Laramie, Wyoming. This was the state where we spent most of our trip.

Arriving in Laramie, we visited the Medicine Bow Ranger Station to pick up maps and headed into downtown Laramie for some lunch. We parked a block away and walked over to Crowbar & Grill for a tasty lunch.

With our bellies full, we walked back to the car and drove down highway 130 (Snowy Range Pass) toward Centennial, Wyoming. The view from this two-lane highway (picture above) surrounded us with vast fields containing wild horses, cows and elk. In the distance we could see the Medicine Bow National Forest and at the highest peak we saw snow covered tips. Soon we arrived at the hotel.

My previous blog provides information on Centennial Wyoming so I shall not repeat it here. After unloading our car we were met by our friends Mark and Lynn, who we ate dinner with at our hotel. After dinner Mark wanted to take us up the hill to Medicine Bow Peak. A 15 minute drive and we were at the foot of Medicine Bow. Along the way we visited Libby Flats Lookout, West Marie Lake, Mirror Lake and saw Lookout Lake in the distance. The sun was setting and being 2 hours behind, we decided we wanted to head back and go to bed, so we did.

The next day we again met up with Mark and Lynn, loaded up in their truck, and returned to the West Marie Lake parking lot. Marcie, Mark, and I walked over to the lake and admired the view. We then began a hike to “Lookout Peak”. The entire trail takes you 7.5 miles up and along Medicine Bow peak and returns to the parking lot. We only hiked one mile of it.

The parking lot was at an elevation of 10,491 feet above sea level. Within one mile we would be at 11,051 feet. Living at 699 feet above sea level, we all three felt the strains on our bodies. Every 30 50 feet we had to stop. Gasping for air, headache (me) and general fatigue, made this 1 mile (one way) trip a daunting challenge. We had no agenda, so we took our time, caught our breath, and made it up to the peak overlooking Marie Lake. The views were spectacular, and Marcie, Mark and I took shot after shot.

 

The trip down was much easier, and we passed a few people coming up the trail. One older lady was running up the trail. I felt embarrassed, but she was a local and used to the elevation.

We drove around some more, saw some moose on the side of the road and had dinner at our hotel once again. It was a great day, and I was so happy to share it with my wife and friends.

Until next time,

Tim (Kilmer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Ridge/Breeden Ridge Trail

Photo by: Tim Bindner Photography Today I met my buddy Mark at O’ Bannon Woods State Park for a hike.  In this Coronavirus terrifying world, I needed to get out. My week had not been going so well.  I got some surprises at work that changed how future projects will go for me and I was bombarded by daily messages of doom about the Corona Virus.  I was looking forward to the weekend because I had two hikes planned.  This is the only one that happened. After a two day headache (Friday and Saturday) I was able to get out and hike.  I met Mark at the campground in O’ Bannon Woods and we set off on the Rocky Ridge Trail.  This is the trail we had planned on hiking a few weekends ago but it ended quickly when the forecasted 30% of rain became 100% sleet. The trail this time was still muddy but as I could tell by the campground area we would be alone.  As my boots slushed through the mud I watched from behind as Mark often caught a tree root or rock with the toe of his boot, sending...

Conformity !

Photo by: Tim Bindner In today’s post, I want to discuss something that has been on my mind for quite a while. I don’t have any solutions, but often just voicing my thoughts helps me be a little more at ease. Conformity is something we all must do. It is put on us by work, society, the government, family, loved ones and even friends. Sometimes it is easy to recognize, other times it is so hidden or repeated we don’t even realize it. Marcie and I were driving home yesterday through New Albany, Indiana, and we saw a motorcycle in front of us. First, let me say I was not being judgmental of this guy, but I pointed out some things that were obvious, or maybe not so much to my wife. This guy was in his 30’s I’d say. He was riding a Harley, wearing faded blue jeans and old cowboy boots (black, of course), and had a t-shirt on with his motorcycle club name and a logo with some sort of assault rifle on it. He had a black baseball cap on backwards with a flat bill on it. He also adjusted his t-...

31 Days of Halloween - Part 2 of 4

Part 1 Week 2 Halloween (2007) – I know I might get some blowback from this, but like the Friday the 13 th series, I also enjoy the Halloween series. It had some duds (Season of the Witch), but overall the 111 kills Michael Myers has committed lends itself to some good films. The reason I picked this version as my favorite is partly because of the vision Rob Zombie brings to it. The kid playing Michael is creepy and the 6’8″ Michael (played by Tyler Mane) is formidable on screen. I met the man once and he is huge. So I like it because of the creepy kid (Daeg Faerch), creepy adult (Tyler Mane) and of course no Rob Zombie movie would be complete without his lovely wife Sheri Moon Zombie as Michael’s mother. To me, this version is the best of the series with no disrespect to the first one. A Nightmare on Elm Street – The original movie came out in 1984 and I saw it that same year. This is one of my favorite movies but the series (other than Freddy vs. Jason) was a disappoint...